REVIEW: Colour Pop Ultra Matte Lip - Swatches and Review

I squealed loudly when I received my Colour Pop order and it secretly makes me happy that 'colour' is spelled with the 'u...



I squealed loudly when I received my Colour Pop order and it secretly makes me happy that 'colour' is spelled with the 'u'. Australia: 1 America:0. The cheesy card does the trick as well: if you were a transformer you'd be Optimus Fine.

Colour Pop has been all the rage lately from Youtube to Instagram and so I felt the need to jump onto the bang wagon to see what the fuss is about. I fell in love with the Ultra Matte Lips after swatching them and could not wait to wear them out and about. I purchased 11 shades out of the range and let me just say that the colour range is great! I ordered the Foxy set which contained 5 mini liquid lipsticks and is great for those who can never finish a lipstick (my hand is in the air for this sin).
For 6 USD a pop (equivalent to approximately 9 AUD) it gave me room to experiment and try more shades from the range. I regret not purchasing the more adventurous shades such as the greens and blues but that just gives me a great excuse to place another order to also explore their eye range.




L to R (Foxy set): Beeper, Creeper, More Better, Clueless, Tulle
L to R (full sized): LAX, Silhouette, Scrooge, Kapow, Bumble, Instigator


SWATCHES


L to R: Beeper, Clueless, Tulle, Creeper, More Better


L to R: LAX, Silhouette, Scrooge, Kapow, Bumble, Instigator

Can I have a moment to congratulate whoever it was that wrote the descriptions of the products because they are pretty spot on with most of the shades. I've ordered on many sites that describe their lipsticks as 'nude' and 'pink'. WHAT KIND OF NUDE? WHAT KIND OF PINK GOD DAMMIT? TELL ME MORE. It also saves me a lot of time from racking my brain trying to find the right words to describe a shade. I apologise for being impatient and not waiting for the swatches on my arm to dry before photographing but I was too excited.

KAPOW

Described as a muted grey Taupe but I'd like to call this the dried cement/concrete/I ate gravel for breakfast look. I'm still uncertain if I can pull this off but...



INSTIGATOR

I was looking for MAC's Kinda Sexy in a liquid lipstick form and this will do. A mid-tone peachy nude.



BUMBLE

Described as a dusty warm terracotta and is hands down one of my favourites. Maybe because it reminds me of Nars' Dolce Vita.

\

CLUELESS

A dusty mauve pink which reminds me of Stila's Patina. Not a dupe but still pretty.



BEEPER

A warm mid-tone taupe but I'd say that it's more of a deep nude than taupe.



TULLE

A dusty mauve burgundy. 


SCROOGE

A rich rosy pink. I'm usually not into these pink shades but they're not too vibrant so it's a yes from me. 

MORE BETTER

A deep violet wine.


SILHOUETTE

A rich blue red but CAN WE JUST TAKE A SECOND TO ADMIRE THIS? 


CREEPER
A classic blue red. More orange based compared to Silhouette. 

AND CAN WE TAKE ANOTHER SECOND TO ADMIRE THIS. JESUS. HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THIS *turns off caps lock*


LAX

A blackened red. I was so excited about this colour but I found that it applies patchy. Beautiful but a tad disappointing. 


REVIEW

OVERVIEW

The packaging is quite average: plastic with a rigid doe foot applicator. There is no pleasant scent but I get a hint of Sharpie texta if I tried really hard. The formula is watery and dries fast... like... really fast which could be a problem for those new to liquid lipsticks. 

PROS

I love the affordability of Colour Pop's products, $9 compared to Stila's $32 gets a thumbs up in my books. I love that the formula dries completely matte and has a powdery finish. The powdery finish is important to me since I've found that even with high end liquid lipsticks, the finish could still be a tiny bit tacky. I wore these to work and they lasted a good 10 hours with minimal wear even with drinking water and eating. Most shades were great in terms of pigmentation and once it's on... it is realllllly on. With every application I am stunned by the shade because they are so beautiful.

AND CAN WE PLEASE REFER TO THE REDS? BECAUSE GARDDAMN. Ever wore a beautiful red lipstick only to have it smeared onto your hands and face with every moment? Look no further. 

CONS

Yes, they are drying. There, I got that out of the way. I've heard so many complaints about dryness but that is expected from a liquid lipstick. They are more drying than the liquid lipsticks from Stila, Anastasia Beverley Hills and Lime Crime but I find that I can wear them comfortably for a good 4 hours before I feel a slight discomfort. Nothing that would stop me from wearing them though, I'm an avid lover of liquid lipsticks because I cannot stand reapplying lipstick 20 times a day so my opinion may be a bit biased. If you have dry lips that don't cope well with matte lipsticks then maybe you should give these a skip. For those who love comfortable and hydrating lip formulas then this is not for you. 

Inconsistency is another thing. Some shades applied beautifully and some were slightly patchy. Some shades took longer to dry than others but that wasn't a big worry for me. 

VERDICT

For about $9 a pop I'd say why not? I'd definitely recommend purchasing a few to try out. I would not pay high end prices for these liquid lipsticks but they are definitely worth the $9. Bumble is definitely my favourite.  I'm excited to place my next order!

What are your thoughts on the Colour Pop range? Love it or leave it? What should I purchase next?

  

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. You got some good colors! I do love ColourPop because they're so inexpensive. My fave shades are Clueless, More Better, and Bad Habit :)
    xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking into their eye and cheek products soon! Let me know if you've tried any :D

      Delete
  2. Where did you order the products from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Larisa!! I love the pictures and the descriptions in your review! Makes me want to go buy some now. :P So cheap!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.